School History Bellamy is named in honor of Francis Bellamy who wrote the Pledge of Allegiance in 1892. Francis Bellamy lived in Tampa from 1924 until his death in 1931. Bellamy Elementary was built in 1974, dedicated in 1975, and rededicated in 1995. The school colors are appropriately, red, white and blue. The mascot is the Bobcat. On May 14, 1992, a celebration was held commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Pledge of Allegiance.